My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai, India

A dreamer to the core. A thinker. A writer. A marketer. A poet. A management guru in the making! A keen observer of business, organizations, leaders, society, economic environment, consumers, and innovation. A confirmed maverick who loves to turn conventional wisdom upside down!

Subscribe to Logical String

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Subscribe in NewsGator Online

Subscribe in Bloglines

Add to netvibes

Add to My AOL

Subscribe in Rojo

View Mayank Krishna's profile on LinkedIn

India Blogs Directory

I AM A PROUD BIHARI

Powered by Blogger

Creative Commons License
.

Best viewed on 1024 x 768 screen resolution

Monday, December 11, 2006

Some Reflections On Life At 30000 Feet

Today morning I was returning from Jodhpur to Mumbai. All of a sudden at 30000 feet above the ground, I started thinking about the mistakes I had committed in my life. I don’t know what triggered this, but my mind was racing to past to figure out what critical mistakes I committed, both on career as well as personal front. It was not remorse or the ‘if and but’ type of pondering. It was more of a reflection. It seemed like a puzzle where I was trying to figure out where I erred and why I erred and what I should learn from it to avoid a repeat in future.

And it was worthwhile. The 2 hour long journey was well spent and at the end of it my mind appeared to be clear and light.

Without going into the details of the mistakes I committed, let me just share with you some key learnings that I deduced from them. May be it can be of some use to you.

  1. Take your own decision but hear what others have to say with your ears as well as mind open.
  2. Take ownership of your decisions in life.
  3. Circumstances in life may not favour you always; but you must do a favour to yourself by not kneeling in front of circumstances.
  4. Always try to find a mentor in life – be it career or life in general. Many people have seen the world for much more time than you and they have seen it from many angles. Utilize the wisdom they have gathered through the rough and tumble of life. It will save you a lot of time in your own journey called life.
  5. You never know when you will need someone. So avoid doing anything that closes your access to someone. As far as possible, be friendly.
  6. Don’t delay in taking decisions. Once you decide something, just put your heart into it and take action. In life or career, delay in taking decisions is indecision and is often too costly. Also, right decisions often come to mind in a flash and it’s important we respect those flashes of brilliant decision making by avoiding excessive analysis that kills those right decisions. As far as life is concerned, we need to hear and trust the ‘inner voice’ more often.
  7. Don’t get emotionally entangled with someone without fully understanding how much trustworthy he or she is. Too much emotion too soon often brings too much pain and misery.
  8. Live and let live. Always try to avoid a head-on collision. But at the same time never shy away from fighting for what is right.
  9. Claim your rightfully deserved share of pie. Altruism and selfishness are two extremes. Learn to take the middle path.
  10. Don’t be afraid of making mistakes in life. But at the same time don’t shy away from looking back to reflect on the mistakes you committed and learning something that helps in avoiding repetition of such mistakes.
  11. Be humble. It makes life much easier to live in times of both glory and doom.

Labels:

Comments on "Some Reflections On Life At 30000 Feet"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:03 PM) : 

This reminds me of the poem I wrote at 40,000 ft height while going home in April. Too many thoughts come to mind for sure. :)

 

post a comment